Monday, October 31, 2011

Q&A with Powerone, Bestselling Sizzler Editions Author of Bondage and Discipline

Powerone is one of the reigning masters of the novel of domination and submission. His books have consistently climbed to number one on erotica bestseller lists. We are proud of the fact that most of his novels have been published by Sizzler Editions. Readers of all types are drawn to his sharply characterized novels of strong men and the women who love to submit to them. His newest novel, Wicked and Wild West, is an intense, and perhaps all-too accurate look at an aspect of the West, where ropes are used for more than cattle. It's the story of two doms caught in a struggle over one woman.

Sizzler Editions: Why do you write the type of book you are best known for?

Powerone: I started writing about 10 years ago, deciding that I would try writing a story after reading lots of what other people had written on various Internet reading sites for erotica. When you start out, you write what you know best. So I wrote bondage and S&M, some very extreme. It seemed that I had a knack for writing because I got lots of responses from readers and over the course of the next five years, I won numerous awards for some of my stories, usually in the non-consensual category.

In 2006, an editor for another publisher (which is also a writer for this publisher) suggested that I write a novel and see if I could make any money doing it. If you have read any of my short stories, many are far from being short stories. Some have up to 12 chapters to it and could become a book so it wasn’t much of a leap from short story to novel. I wrote it, they edited it and then they changed their mind about publishing erotica, compared to romance, which is what they were known for. So, they gave me back my contract and I came to Renaissance ebooks with it and it was published. That novel was “Teaching the Au Pair to Submit” and is still one of my best selling novels.

Since that time, I have always published novels that had bondage in them, some of them more extreme with S&M, all with reluctant woman that succumb to their dark desires. I tend to write from both aspects, the male and the female character. I enjoy getting into the minds of my characters and what they are thinking.


Sizzler Editions: Where do you get your ideas?

Powerone: I have a very vivid imagination. I can get the idea of a book from the simplest of things; just a few words can provoke images in my head. I don’t outline a book; it just seems to flow out of my head as I write. I have to be careful at times, finishing up one book before I will start another. It doesn’t work writing two books at one time.

I live at the beach in Southern California and doing the winter, I have the college students living down here and the summer we have the tourists. So, I have lots of girls in very skimpy bikini’s walking around year round. If they only knew what I was thinking, though I suspect their sex life is a lot duller then my female characters from my novels.

I also love the erotic novels of the 60, 70’s and 1980’s, though they are hard to find now. What used to sell for $1.95 is now $45.00 on websites, but luckily, I have a fine collection purchased over the years. They are quite different from my novels, but they often inspire me.

Sizzler Editions: How and when do you write?

Powerone: I work a “real job” three days a week, but that is finally diminishing, and I write the other four days. I work outside (weather is always nice and lots of girls to look at). I write best in the morning and afternoon, using the night for doing the “marketing” that is required for writers if they want to be successful.

For the last six years, I have written between 5-7 novels a year, having completed a total of 47 now. With writing, there is always up days and down days, enjoying best the days when the words come out of my head and go onto my laptop with such ease. Those are the days when you hate to stop writing and you can’t wait to get back to it.

Sizzler Editions: What do you like most about being an author?

Powerone: I love to see my name in “lights”, seeing a novel on Amazon, Barnes and Noble or one of the other sites and know that I wrote it and to see how it is doing, whether it’s on the top lists or reading the reviews. I often check the major sites daily to see how my novels are doing.

It always amazes me when I do the final read through of my latest novel, unable to believe that I had actually written it.

Sizzler Editions: What is your advice to beginning writers.

Powerone: Try your luck on the large selection of Internet sites that publish stories. Find sites that specialize in what you write, let the readers tell you how you are doing. But, always edit your stories. Don’t insult the readers by throwing out a story with lots of mistakes, misspellings and poor grammar. Many of the websites that publish the stories have lists of people that will proof your story. Don’t take every comment to heart, there is always some that will only try to complain or cut the writers ability down. Read it and go onto the next. If all of them are that way, maybe you need to do something different in your writing or maybe you should not be writing.

Read other successful authors in the genre that you want to write. Find out what makes their story so compelling for the readers to buy their books.

Sizzler Editions: Is there anything you would like to say to your fans?

Powerone: I want to thank all my fans for buying my books and inspiring me to write better each time. I love the emails I get from readers, their suggestions (just a simple suggestion from a reader has inspired a novel) and their criticism.


Sizzler Editions: What can your readers look forward to reading from you in the future.
Powerone: As I mentioned, I am hoping soon to have more time to write so you will soon more books from me. I am always looking for something new. I have a novel in my head that will be a male-male bondage novel. You might even see a romance come out of my head in the future.


My next novel will be “Wicked and Wild West.” You will love it, a look at the Wild West as it really was. It is almost ready to be published. I am working on “Suburban Wives Bondage Club” which should be out in October. The Stepford Wives have nothing on these ladies.

You can be assured; I will surprise you with something that you are not expecting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home